Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Day 15 - 10:00 p.m.

              Today was overall a good day for us.  First of all, I had the chance to hold Garrett for hours today.  Good thing about this, besides the obvious just getting to hold him, is that when he is held by me his breathing and heart rates both slow down.  Which is very good because they are way too elevated the rest of the time.  Other fun part of today was that Grant got to meet Garrett for the first time.  There has been an RSV restriction on the NICU and children under 5 have not been allowed in until yesterday.  Grant was very well behaved and ecstatic to meet his baby brother.
                The bummer’s are that Garrett is still breathing very hard and also retaining a little too much fluid where his chest tube was.  So what does this mean?  As for the fluid, they may have to drain it with a needle or reinsert something for drainage.  As for the breathing……….unfortunately if it persists, he may have to be re-intubated at some point.  I am hoping we do not have to go there.  But if we do, we do.  Praying that we don’t though………..
                Since when I hold him his breathing really slows, I will be trying to hold him as much as possible now that I can.  Darn the luck on that one.  As soon as a put him back in his isolette today his respiration rate went WAY UP.  It amazes me that a mother can have that kind of effect on her infant.  The human body is an amazing thing.
Hello Baby Brother!
 I said HELLO Baby Brother!!!

 We had to wear masks when they changed Garrett's fluids.  Grant thought he hit the jackpot.
 Bye bye baby boy.......see you tomorrow!  Love, Mama
         

7 comments:

  1. Love the photos of Grant and his baby brother. Thank you for posting. I have been checking all day. Figured you were busy holding Garrett and didn't have time to write earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pictures and captions of the boys' first meeting! As much as you will be unbelievably missed at the wedding, you can tell Garrett critically needs his mom now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really does not surprise me at all to hear that Garrett calms down in your arms. Mother's love is an incredible thing! More powerful than one can imagine! Grant looks so cute meeting Garrett - it's obvious he will take on the role of "big brother" without any trouble. Have an amazing Mother's Day. Thoughts and prayers, always.
    Karen, Paul and Jacob

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all, congratulations on the arrival of Garrett! Wow, you weren't kidding...this has been a roller coaster for you all! Thankfully, it appears that there are more ups than downs! I have been following your blog, usually reading on Friday mornings. In case there is bad news, I would rather read it on my day off when I'm alone. Even though I was only part of your lives for a short time, you are still one of "my families." And who cannot just LOVE Grant?!?! I miss him...more than he misses me, I'm certain!! Janna, I soooooo admire your strength and your ability to put your journey into words so well so others can follow it with you. Although you feel like Grant has been given the "short end of the stick," you are a fantastic mom! Life isn't perfect, and Grant knows that his baby brother needs you. Soon enough, you will have your "new normal" days and hopefully you will be able to steal away time just for you and Grant. In the meantime, it sounds like Grant has plenty of people that are showering him with love and attention! If you need additional help with Grant, I will gladly take him off your hands:-) He would love playing with my son...just say the word!!
    Enjoy holding Garrett...Happy Mother's Day:-)
    --Andrea Russell

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the pictures of Grant and Garrett. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Could Grant look any prouder? He looks like he is over the moon about Garrett! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These pictures of the boys together are so special.

    I used to worry what kind of mother you would be. What a waste of time...you're an amazingly wonderful mother!

    ReplyDelete