Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

4 Weeks Old

                Garrett now has both occupational and physical therapy every weekday.  They work his little muscles and he gets baby massages.  They tell me he is actually REALLY strong for a little guy.  I told them I attributed his strength to the CPAP machine.  The entire time he was on it he worked his neck and arm muscles so much trying to get if off he had to build up some muscle tone!
                Garrett also wears clothing now!  I forget to mention this.  Since the PICC line came out we do get him dressed.  I did bring in some outfits from home.  But I quickly learned he goes through a lot of them AND my clothes get confused with the hospital outfits that are used in the NICU.  So I decided, for the time being, just to use the little hospital outfits so mine don’t keep disappearing. 
                I LOVE watching Garrett’s “numbers” steadily come down.  That is what TIME seems to buy us – better vital signs.  I know most of you are like me, probably not familiar with vital signs (unless you are a nurse or doctor).  Garrett’s breathing rate once he was extubated was in the 80/90 range regularly, and would spike well over 100, which is HIGH.  Now he sits in the 60 range most of the time.  (While on the ventilator, it kept him around 40 which is the range he should be in with normal lungs).  His heart rate now sits in the 140 range.  Previously he was in the 180/190 range and would spike over 200.  That is also way too high.  So being in the 140 range is much, much better.  I don’t normally post numbers.  I find them confusing when I read them on other blogs.  The point is, his are steadily decreasing.  Which means his lungs and heart do not have to work quite as hard as they have been.  Garrett’s vitals, I would assume, may always be a little higher than an average person.  Though his lungs can continue to grow for the next 6 years or so; they will never be 2 fully developed lungs.
                When Garrett wakes up we will attempt his bottle for the second time ever.  I am prepared, I hope he is too!

6 comments:

  1. Good luck with the bottle and with his stomach's reaction to the milk. I am so happy your job schedule allows you all this time off with Garrett and Grant. The road home does seem long, but he is going in the right direction to get there:)

    I love and miss you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He continues to improve doesn't he? I can only imagine how this affects your family and you as a mom. It's got to be easier to go to him when signs of his getting better are seen regularly. Good luck with the bottle; he'll git her done for you soon!!!
    Debi Mann

    ReplyDelete
  3. we are praying for you guys. We know all to well what you are going through. We to watched the numbers and sometimes they determined if it was a good day or bad one. Our son was diagnosed at 32 weeks inutero he was born 4 weeks later. He will be three this august. Life is challenging but so very worth it. Garrett is a cutie pie.

    ~Julie
    Kiernan born 8-20-08 LCDH

    ReplyDelete
  4. he is doing so well! Dont count on those lungs staying as small as ya think. THey grow more than they tell ya. ;o) Plus, God has his own plans. =) Camden had a tiny left lung that was supposed to get the size of a 1/2 lung when he was fully grown. At 2 yrs old it is a full lung. =0) SO glad to hear of Garrett's improvement!! ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Janna, I went today and reviewed the blogs - and I love to see how he's improving! Good luck with the feedings! We can't wait till we can come and visit him! (But you know how Lisa is - I might have to wait till she gets home.....)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh, I am so impressed with his progress!What a little fighter he has been! (And your nurse friend appreciates the numbers! And all my coworkers I keep updated do too!)

    ReplyDelete