Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Feeding is Going to TOTALLY Test my Patience: Day 31

Today I fed Garrett 3 bottles.  The first 2 did not go so great.  They want me to give him 60 mls over 30 minutes.  He seems to not quite be able to tolerate that much in a short period of time without spitting up.  He has NO PROBLEM sucking it down (obviously my child).  He sometimes still does get short of breath while eating because he gets in such a hurry. I make him take frequent breaks while eating to try to burp also.  If I would let him, he would suck the entire bottle down within 3 to 5 minutes……but I don’t let him because I would immediately see ALL of it again instead of just some of it! ;)
The last of the 3 bottles he took about 42 mls of the 60 in the bottle, with breaks in there to try to burp.  The 42 was taken, along with burps, within about 10 minutes.   When I went back at him with the bottle he slightly refused it, so I did not push it on him at all this time.   I put him up on my shoulder and patted his back for about the last 20 minutes of the feeding time.  I got a HUGE burp after about 10 minutes of patting, but no spit up.  Then the nurse put the last 18 mls left in the bottle down his feeding tube.  He did gag a little, but did not spit up at all.  I kept him upright for another 10 minutes or so before putting him back in his crib to leave for the evening.  He is going to have reflux, hands down, so it helps to keep him upright during/after feeding. 
Going with my maternal instinct on this one……….I think 60 mls is a little much for his stomach to handle at one time.  He seems to do better with 40 mls or so at one time.  I may talk to the doctors to see what they recommend on rounds tomorrow.  Maybe we can adjust the amounts somehow.
Special thanks to Megan Parcel!!  She brought our family 4 dinners she made and froze for us to eat whenever and a big brother gift for Grant.  We will be eating GOOD on those dinners!  Thanks Meg – SO GOOD TO SEE YOU :) 

4 comments:

  1. he is doing great to be using a bottle at all. So happy for him!! And go with your feelings about the feeds....the hospital WILL over feed. They do everything by numbers and they will stuf them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so welcome! It was great to spend the day with you and Garrett! He is beautiful in the pics- but he is gorgeous in person! Hopefully, the next time I see him will be at home! As for feedings- go with your gut...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janna, you have always had one of the best mommy intuitions I know. I would say something to the dr's and see if it helps. I am so proud of Garrett. Taking multiple bottles a day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Janna
    Definitely go with your instincts. Argue with the docs. Better to take it slow and let his body adjust. I had to do that with Steph when she was newborn. We had some major disagreements before he finally agreed that I wasn't the "newby" mom who didn't know my child. Still praying for you and your family.
    Much love
    Debi Mann

    ReplyDelete