Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, May 6, 2011

A Step Backwards We Go. (Day 16)

When I arrived in Garrett’s room this morning………….there it was…………the ventilator.  However, upon closer inspection, I noticed there was no tube down his throat.  He did have on some massive looking nasal cannulas, much larger than before.  After tracking down a nurse to find out what the heck he was hooked up to, I discovered it is what is called CPAP (see-pap).
                CPAP is actually a step between the plain nasal cannulas with oxygen and being ventilated.  As Garrett’s mom, I knew he was struggling to breathe.  Each breath seemed more difficult than the last.  As hard as it was for me to accept it, I knew we needed to take a step backwards.  Garrett’s little lungs could just not handle breathing for his entire body on their own.  It pained me to know that he may need re-intubated, but it pained me more to watch him struggle so to breathe. 
He did do just fine respiration wise when I would hold him, but I cannot do that 24/7.  I did not realize we had an in-between step before re-intubating him.  That is what CPAP seems to be.  It delivers a little stronger pressure than just the nasal cannulas, yet is not as invasive as a ventilator. 
                Garrett is adjusting to it.  Though it irritates him, he seems to not have to struggle so to breathe.  So it is a very good thing.  Dr. Yang thinks we should leave him on the CPAP machine for about a week.  This will give him time to rest and allow us to work on upping his feedings.  I can still hold Garrett on CPAP, which I cannot do on the ventilator.  So let’s hope that this is as far backwards as we need to go.  He still breathes a little fast, but is a LOT LESS labored now……….aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh.  A little peace of mind for mom.

5 comments:

  1. Uncle (Outlaw) WayneMay 6, 2011 at 2:39 PM

    CPAP is also used for adults with sleep apnea. And don't look at it as a step backwards. Look at it as another day in the life of Garrett.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cali used the cpap mask when she was in the hospital. It really did help her. I hope it works for little Garrett,too. Kimmy

    ReplyDelete
  3. CPAP works really well on our sick babies at work. It really does cut down on their work of breathing. That little bit of extra pressure helps a lot. I'm praying it works great for Garrett! He shouldn't use up as much energy now, so hopefully he can get his feeding down and start packing on some weight! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying that the C-Pap helps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Dakota had C-PAP for about 10 days. She hated it! But it made her fiesty, and I swear, improved her head strength because she would try so hard to get it off! It is a good thing for the lungs though! Hugs! Many prayers that Garrett continues to take forward steps and the light of home gets brighter and brighter!
    Hugs,
    Jennifer
    Mom to Dakota 12-25-2008
    RCDH surivor

    ReplyDelete