Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Day 13 -- 10:30 a.m.

Garrett enjoys not being on the ventilator that is for sure (his mother also enjoys it not being in the room).  However he is ready for his chest tube to go I do believe.  That should happen tomorrow.  One the chest tube is out, I should be able to hold him for the first time J -- at 2 weeks old. 
                I told my parents I was really strict with NOT holding Grant when he slept.  I did not want him to get used to being held all the time.  So the moment he fell asleep I would stick him in his swing or something.  With Garrett I think it will be the complete opposite.  Once I DO finally get to hold him, I won’t want to put him down to make up for lost time.  I am picturing me caring him everywhere I go. 
                Today at 11:00 Garrett is taking a trip down to radiology to have his feeding tube placed where it needs to be.  I will just wait in his room.  No need for me to watch him be unhappy.  I want him to associate me with the times he is not being poked on.  They had to move him to a mobile isolette.  He actually slept through the whole transfer.  Good deal.  He also just got a little versed; which also helped I am sure.  Once the tube is in a good position they will try to resume some of his feedings.  Right now he is back to being fed intravenously. 
                Garrett now handles being touched a lot better.  I can hold his hand and rub his head until he falls asleep and his vitals all stay stable.  Ahhhh, the little things in life.

5 comments:

  1. Go Garrett! And I guess you get your Mother's Day present a few days early!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking of you holding him for the first time brought tears to my eyes. I pray it is soon and hey, don't worry about holding him too much...you both deserve it.
    Sarah from Mville

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Megan, what a great Mother's Day gift it would be for you to hold him. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go Garrett! So glad to hear he is doing so well! It's funny because I read the baby whisperer before I knew about Dakota's CDH and I had all these grand plans to teach her to self soothe, etc. Then when I brought her home from the hospital she was so hard to feed - in the beginning she didn't have the energy to not fall asleep eating. I actually had to wake her up every 3 hours to feed her. As she got older, sometimes the only time I could get her to eat was when she was in a light sleep. So it all went out the window and my 2 1/2 year old still can't soothe herself to sleep and wakes up in the middle of the night. But I tell you, I thank God every night as I rock my toddler to sleep. I can't wait till I read you got your first snuggle.
    Hugs,
    Jennifer
    Mom to Dakota 12-25-2008
    RCDH survivor

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hang in there Momma! I remember when I held Scarlette for the very first time. She was 9 days old and I just bawled, I am tearing up just thinking about it! We were in the NICU for 59 days and went home unrepaired, but she got repaired at 10 weeks old and came home off oxygen! It's going to go by fast so take TONS of pictures, you will be surprised how fast you forget what your NICU stay was like. I am praying for your family!

    Nicole
    Mommy of Scarlette 09/09/09
    RCDH survivor (among a whole slew of other things! :0) )

    ReplyDelete