Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Oh the CPAP: Day 20

Garrett had a bit of a rough day today.  During the middle of the night someone had the bright idea to take him OFF CPAP.  (He was supposed to be on it for AT LEAST A WEEK per his doctors).    Not going to get into all the reasoning, let’s just say Garrett never should have gone off of it.  Bad, bad, bad decision.  This is why I do not like NOT being at the hospital.  I mean REALLY, who takes an infant with severely underdeveloped lungs off a breathing machine at 2:00 a.m.???   
So from 2:00 a.m. until 11:00 a.m. he was off CPAP, and went back on it at 11:00 a.m. today.  It took the majority of the day to get him calmed down and his heart rate and respiration rates back down somewhat.  They are still not down to what they were, but they are slowing moving in that direction.
Garrett had his usual holding time today as I tried to calm him down.  He was pretty irritated from his ‘time off’ from CPAP.  As much as he hates the nasal cannulas I do believe he hated being off of it more!  However he snuggles right into my arms and is (usually) content while being held.  I love holding him.  It is GREAT.  Especially knowing how much he enjoys it makes me a very happy camper. 
We have been gradually upping his feedings and he seems to be handling it well still.  They have also been weaning his Fentanyl (pain med) which is almost completely off.  He has had to have quite a bit of Versed to try to calm him down over the past 24 hours.  However I am always for giving it to him when he is upset.  He has been through a lot for a little guy so let’s at least make him more comfortable! 
Garrett has the biggest, darkest eyes.  He actually looks more like I thought our children would look.  When I had Grant he looked NOTHING like I expected. Garrett looks more like what I had in mind. J

4 comments:

  1. Janna, this upset me so much when Paul told me about it! I don't understand what they were thinking and why they made that decision on their own. Of course I pray continuously for Garrett, but yesterday morning around 2 or 3 AM I woke up with Garrett on my mind and started praying for him immediately. God is watching over him and will keep him safe. I wish I could take the night shift, so someone could be with him 24 hrs. It breaks my heart not to be able to be there with him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Mimi Vicky, I am furious that Garrett was taken off of the CPAP. Ask the doctor to have whomever made that decision taken off of your baby's service. Also ask if the person should be written up for not following the doctor's orders.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad I talked to you last night BEFORE I read this post, or I think I would have been even more upset than I was when you told me. Just make sure you voice your concerns to the doctors and the person in charge of the nurses. You have every right to be an active participant in Garrett's care, and they need to be aware of the fact that you are very unhappy with someone NOT following his plan of care. Someone changing his plan of care in the middle of the night is NOT okay.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unless it's the doctor :) Forgot to add that!

    ReplyDelete