Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Stress Tests

     I am now having stress tests to monitor the baby 2 times a week after work.  I just stop on my way home and they hook me up and ‘monitor’.  During my last stress test the baby’s heart rate was low.  I stayed hooked up for a while with no change, so I was given some Coke (for the caffeine) to try to get things looking better.  Still no change.  So then I had to go in for another ultrasound where they did a fetal Apgar score.  It is similar to how babies get an Apgar score after birth, but they look for different items.  Luckily, after being at my doctor for what seemed like forever, the baby cooperated great for the ultrasound and quickly scored perfect on his evaluations.  And, most importantly, I got to head home!
     I am concerned how the baby’s heart rate will handle labor and delivery.  Two reasons – First of all, the heart is displaced, so who knows if that will affect anything.  Secondly, Grant’s heart rate dropped drastically during delivery and he was a healthy baby.  I have already been told that if his heart does get stressed at all, he will be coming c-section.  I could care less how he gets here.  The only bummer with the c-section is that I will be out of commission longer and not able to get where I need to be – which is by his side – as quickly as I would like.

3 comments:

  1. I had a C-Section and I had worried about the same thing. Luckily, they let me leave a day early as long as I used a wheel chair at Children's Hospital. Looking back, those first few days were a blur to me. Fortunately, my husband and the nurses kept me informed of Ramsey's status. It was so nice to know I could call his nurse at any hour of the day!

    Lisa
    Mom to Ramsey, LCDH survivor
    rootingforramsey.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wanted to say you are doing a beautiful job of explaining everything. This is what I tried to do with my family as well. I said, this is going to be hard, it's going to be the hardest thing we have ever done, but we are going to get through it and at the end we are all going to be stronger and I will take my baby home. I kept repeating that to myself. Many, many prayers for a good start for your baby and a smooth journey.
    Hugs,
    Jennifer
    Mom to Dakota 12-25-2008
    RCDH/premie/ECMO survivor

    ReplyDelete
  3. Prayers are with you Janna,
    Ramsey's Grandma

    ReplyDelete