Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, April 4, 2011

The "Cost" of a Sick Baby

Unfortunately tonight I find myself panicking about what this entire process is going to cost.  Then I have these revelation moments where I think to myself, “Who cares what it costs!  You can’t put a cost on my baby’s life!”   But then I find myself STILL thinking about the bills that are going to pile up.
Really………..Janna……..pull it together. 
What this whole thing is going to cost SHOULD BE the last thing on my mind.  However the cost of healthcare in the United States completely boggles my mind.  It appears that a lot of CDH baby’s hospital bills reach into the millions.  Yep, that would be MILLIONS.  As in what I dream about winning in the lotto.  I can’t help but wonder exactly what I will have to pay out-of-pocket.  Will I spend the rest of my life paying off medical bills?  Considering my prenatal care has already reached into the tens of thousands…………I can’t see this having a good ending………
This pregnancy has already cost me plenty…..plenty of stress, plenty of heartburn, plenty of nausea, plenty stretch marks, plenty of sleepless nights,……….you get the idea.  And they want me to pay money too!  I feel my dues should be marked paid in full.

2 comments:

  1. I just wanted to say that even though it is scary and the health care costs will most likely go into the millions, if you have insurance, that should cover most things except your deductible (which you will reach very fast). In addition, in Florida, if a baby is in the hospital for one full month, the baby can qualify for social security disability which will reimburse you for the deductible and any co-pay. You can check with the hospital social worker and they should help you apply for those programs. You just have to keep on top of it and don't be afraid to ask for help or advice.
    That is not to say this is not an expensive process. We relocated 5 hours away from home for my Dakota so there was the living expenses away from home (while still paying the home expenses), the time away from work, etc.
    However, I saw the true kindness in human beings during our journey. My family, friends,and even strangers were generous and giving!
    I know it is so much stress no matter what!
    Hugs,
    Jennifer
    Mom to Dakota 12-25-2008
    RCDH survivor

    ReplyDelete
  2. we will never live long enough to pay the bills off...but that is our life and it is so very worth it. And yes, depending on the situation, millions it is. We are up to almost 3, last I checked. Oh but to see him alive, not a day goes by where I don't thank God. Just do what you have/need to do and surrender the rest to Him. That is what I had to do. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete