Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Sunday, April 24, 2011

3:00 p.m.

I took the morning off from the hospital this morning to spend some Easter Time with Grant at home.  He hunted eggs (indoors due to rain) and then we made a giant easter egg shaped rice krispy that he decorated.  Lastly headed to my in-laws for a big Easter lunch.  Now I am back up at the hospital for the rest of the afternoon and evening. I am very lucky we live so close to Glennon; it has made it that much easier on all of us.

Garrett has still been progressing on the path we are wanting him to.  Around 1:00 this afternoon they completely weaned him off of his Nitric Oxide. He is a little more fidgetty this afternoon I have noticed, most likely from having to do more and more on his own.  He may be getting a little dose of some more sedative here shortly to help calm him down some.  Even with being a little restless, his vitals are doing just fine off the Nitric.  So at this point he was been weaned off all meds that the docs were hoping they could get him off of prior to his repair surgery.  YEA GARRETT! 

Just an FYI since most of my close friends/family are not that familiar with CDH.  Garrett has done remarkably well over the past few days.  The first 24 hours were a littel scary as he had a lot of trouble stabilizing.  But since then he has amazed us all.  The stress these babies have to deal with is unreal.  Their organs are displaced/underdeveloped and not ready for life outside the womb.  HOWEVER they look on the outside like some of the healthiest babies in the NICU when in reality they are some of the sickest.  Thus the reason why CDH babies are given a 50% chance at survival. 

5 comments:

  1. So glad to hear your lil guy is coping with everything so well -julia-

    ReplyDelete
  2. If he is anything like his initials which it seems he is, GMC....he will do fine...I hope he keeps it up so he can have the surgery soon to move those organs to the proper places....after that I will feel a little more comfortable....from an uneducated observer, "bad brad"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the updates Janna! I'm so glad you were able to enjoy some of the holiday with Grantie. I realize this is a long process, but thrilled that they have been able to wean Garrett off the drugs, in preparation for the surgery. We walk around with our computers and iphone all logged into your blog at all times - Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janna, I'm glad you got to spend the morning with Grant! I'm sure it was good for both of you! I find myself constantly on the computer or with my cell phone glued to my hand! Thanks for the updates! We are praying constantly for you, Paul, Grant, and Garrett! All of these prayers from people all over the world seem to be working! Here's to more "uneventful" and "stable" days! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are keeping you all in our thoughts, and prayers. Love

    Cousin, Dan Goodwin & Nan

    PS you are doing a great job on this blog keep up the great job!

    ReplyDelete