Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Easter in the NICU

The NICU is a lonely place on Easter :(  I feel so sad for the babies and kids at Cardinal Glennon who cannot leave.  Luckily my little Garrett is only 4 days old and does not realize he is missing egg hunting action.  The pic below is a little dark.  I try not to use my flash when I am in his face because he does NOT like it at all and it was dark in the room today when I arrived.  He is sleeping pretty good here.


Uncle Phil and Aunt Sarah gave Garrett the CUTEST easter hat and blanket (gotta love Nordstrom).  However Garrett was a litle jumpy today so we opted to not try to put it on for a picture.  Either way I had to post a pic of it because it was so darn cute!

 
Since the NICU was SO SLOW today, I took it as an opportunity to snap some pics.  Here are the wash bins.  Everyone must scrub in for 2 minutes when you enter the NICU.
Parent showers for when you are here longer than anticipated.
Parent cafe -- assorted drinks, microwave, tv, lounge area.
 The Orange Hallway in the NICU.  Where we live these days. 
 I also learned Garrett has 1 of the 2 largest rooms in the NICU - Room 1888.  They are for the very sick babies that may need ECMO.  We may have to move rooms if a sicker baby comes in; otherwise we get to stay in the larger room even though we have not needed ECMO.
Garrett's weekend day nurse, Anna.  Anna has been with Garrett for the past three days.  She has, like Christy, also done a marvelous job.  I told Anna that I felt being a NICU nurse would have to be a very sad job at times.  She told me that even though there have been sad moments, the satisfying moments of working in the NICU HEAVILY outweigh them.  I really liked that attitude. :)


5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the pictures - they have certainly added some conforts since both of my kids were in NICU - it helped to see where you both are spending so much time. I found the nurses are really something special that take care of these high risk infants - and I'm sure they have/will fall in love with Garrett. Thinking of you

    ReplyDelete
  2. At Mass last night I prayed for you, Paul, Grant and ESP.Garrett and all the CDH children that are on this journey. It is so wonderful that Garrett is doing so well, Go Garrett!!!! Thanks so much for the tour of your Hospital, it was interesting to see the difference from Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh. Happy Easter, God be with you on this journey.
    Ramsey's Gram Razza

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking of you. We spent last Easter in the NICU.

    Kristy Cheek

    ReplyDelete
  4. Camden spent his first Easter in NICU. It made us so grateful for his second Easter! =0) Im so glad he is continuing to do so well!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. While I was on the plane to New Orleans, you updated TWICE. Avi and I headed to Walmart so twt he stops the starving for Pesach thing. On our way he read the updates to me and commented, in typical Schneider/Lepp/Sirt fashion. Love you and miss you all!!

    ReplyDelete