Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Tour of St. Mary's

     Recently I went for a tour of St. Mary’s Hospital to see exactly where I would be delivering this baby.  The nurses were lovely.  First I toured the labor/delivery area.   Then I got a tour of the NICU.  The baby will be intubated immediately following birth.  In other words, he will have to have something breathing for him.  I believe they do that right there in labor and delivery the moment he pops out.  Then he will be transferred down to the NICU to get stabilized.  What he will need to be stable completely depends on him.  They will also do an umbilical catheter at this time.  As soon as he is stable, he will be loaded up and transferred to Cardinal Glennon.  If everything goes smoothly, which I am hoping for, it would only be a matter of hours before he will leave.
            I have already toured Cardinal Glennon’s NICU, which is where he will be living during the first several weeks or months of his life.  The tour at Cardinal Glennon didn’t bother me.  However, touring at St. Mary’s did seem to strike a nerve and I found myself tearing up and trying not to cry.  I am not sure why.  Possibly because it is so close now.  Or maybe it was hearing the babies cry in the NICU.  Or maybe it is just knowing that is where everything that I have been waiting months for will unfold.  I am not sure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment