Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

The Initial Diagnosis

I should have known my life was going to become more complicated from the moment I was half way through my first routine ultrasound.  At the beginning of the ultrasound I was making small talk with the Technician who told me she had been doing ultrasounds for about 14 years.  She also told me my doctor should have the ultrasounds results in about a week or so.  Half way through the scan she told me I was the most difficult ultrasound she had done in the past 7 or 8 years.  She seemed to be having trouble locating some of the organs she needed to get measurements on.  At the time I assumed it had to do with the baby moving around too much or something.  Though she had trouble with the organs, she had no problem seeing that it was a boy!

The very next day I spoke with my doctor who told me they needed to see me regarding my ultrasound results that had come in.  I was surprised they had the results already since the Tech told me it would be at least a week.  When I arrived they told me that there was a “Gastric Bubble” on the scan and I was being sent on for an upper level ultrasound.  They already had it scheduled and gave me the info.  I knew at this point something was definitely wrong with the baby.

Four days later I went to my upper level ultrasound.  This is where we got the official diagnosis.  The baby had a Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia.  I had never heard of such a thing until the diagnosis.  The baby’s diaphragm had not closed properly very early in the pregnancy, leaving a hole between his chest and abdominal cavities.  Some of the abdominal organs had then migrated into his chest cavity.  At this scan it appeared it was his stomach and intestines, but more testing would have to confirm that.

My mom was with me as this appointment.  I turned to her and asked her if she was going to be alright.  It was not easy information to hear.  The ultrasound tech had to finish up some measurements before I could leave.  I laid there and cried.  Not hysterically, just tears down the face knowing that this was going to be a difficult journey not only for the baby inside me, but also for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment