Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Dealing with the Waiting

I have often wondered with this pregnancy which is the lesser of two evils:  not knowing until delivery the baby has CDH or knowing the majority of the pregnancy.  Since I fall on the "knowing" side I have months to dwell on what ifs.  I have finally settled on my husband’s saying of, “It’s out of our hands.”  I do completely agree, but it doesn’t make the reality of the waiting any easier.  For the majority of babies with CDH nothing is done until delivery.  And, let’s face it, I HAVE NO PATIENTS.    So dealing with waiting until delivery to know how things are going to go has proven difficult for me.

My baby will be taken away from me directly following delivery to be stabilized.  With his lungs being so underdeveloped, he will have to have a breathing tube/ventilator I believe, at the least.  Once he is stabilized he will be transferred to Cardinal Glennon.  I will be delivering at St. Mary’s.  So then I will be left to waiting again.  Waiting without my baby.  I think waiting to be discharged for the 2 to 3 days following delivery to join the baby at the hospital will prove to be more difficult than the 5 months of waiting leading up to delivery.  At least during pregnancy him and I are waiting together.

2 comments:

  1. Jana:
    I can only imagine the stress you are experiencing. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I'll continue to follow you and the baby's progress. Let me know if there's anything you need.
    -Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have been there. The waiting is the hardest part. It eats away at you. You just have to accept it and be at peace with it and don't let the fear get bigger than you.

    ReplyDelete