Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, July 11, 2011

I will never take for granted in my tomorrows, the miracle I hold in my arms today.

Well ladies and gentleman this will be my last post on my CDH blog.  I am converting back to only updating our family blog.  Any of my CDH family can feel free to now follow our family blog if you wish to continue to see updates on our entire family, including Garrett of course:  www.thecaraviafamily.blogspot.com

Garrett contintues to thrive.  He is still in the 11lb range somewhere and growing a mile a minute.  Garrett will forever have some ‘health issues’.  However his issues are minor compared too many CDH babies.  As said by another CDH mom, “When you have a child with CDH you spend their entire life sleeping with one eye open.”  She was exactly right.  You always have to monitor their health and be proactive about issues as they arise.  Once you are a CDH parent, you are ALWAYS a CDH parent.

I want to thank everyone that has read my blog as well as any one who reads it in the future.  This link will always remain active for reference for future CDH families.  Garrett is now a part of our family.  CDH will always be a part of him; however I will never allow it to define him.  So I decided to wrap up our CDH story.  Ours had a happy ending.  Fortunately he was a lucky 1 of 800 babies that lived this year.  Another 800 babies died in the past year due to the CDH birth defect.  In writing this blog I hoped to create awareness of a birth defect that I had never heard of until our diagnosis.  So thank you to each of you who followed Garrett’s story.  You all helped make this blog worthwhile.

8 comments:

  1. So happy to say a happy goodbye to this blog! You did a great job keeping your friends and family informed, but also providing info and inspiration to other CDH families. More importantly, you are an amazing woman, wife, and mother. I am so incredibly blessed to have you in my life! I look forward to watching Garrett (and Grant) grow and thrive over the years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing Garrett's story. When my Dakota was first diagnosed, it was stories like yours that got me through so I think it is wonderful that his story will be out there to give hope to new families. Many prayers for continued good health, fun, and lots of love!
    Hugs,
    Jennifer
    Mom to Dakota 12-25-2008
    RCDH survivor

    ReplyDelete
  3. My son was born with CDH. ....That was tough wasn't it Mom. My son is now 14 years old. He was born at Shands Hospital, Gainesville Florida (we are from Pensacola, thank goodness for Ronald McDonald House)--> 1996...they gave him about a 10% of survival. He was hospitalized the first 6 months of his life. We brought him home right before Christmas.......what a present he was :-) A true gift from God!!
    He is doing awesome, you would never know he went through so much when he was so young....but lift his shirt......he has had multiple surgeries. His beautiful body shows his battle with this defect and it's side-line battles. I wish you and yours all the Lords blessings.......kiss that little miracle for me...."that's some good sugar mamma!!!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen.

    Sarah, Mville

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Janna for taking the time and energy to keep all of us updated. Keep the pictures coming of your cute boys!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck to you and to your family! We are trying to feel "normal" with Clara, our CDH miracle, at home after our 78 days in the hospital. To think that a year ago, I didn't even know about CDH. I pray for peace and strength for your family in the future!
    Mary Ann in North Carolina
    Clara's grandmother

    ReplyDelete
  7. My baby girl also had CDH. We were at the hospital for 4 months. She had 2 surgeries. She's 5 month now. She still on gavage doesnt eat by herself yet and she take different kind of medications. She's also very weak. It was very difficult for me to send her to the surgery room. Twice I was told that she might not come out of the surgery room. Thanx God she's at home now with me. I hope she will be healthy when she grows. Educatingdrew, you gave me a big hope. Im happy for ur son.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so happy that little Garrett pulled through and was a survivor. I am expecting a CDH baby in Feb 2013 and stories like yours give me hope. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete